Since 2004, CHIVA AFRICA has been helping save children with HIV in South Africa. Our teams of UK Health professionals train and mentor local medical staff Working on the Frontlines of the AIDS EPIDEMIC
HIV need not be a death sentence. with our help, the youngest victims of the epidemic Will live longer and healthier lives.
What we do
CHIVA Africa delivers hands-on, sustainable teaching on all aspects of paediatric HIV care.
We share skills and experience on the practical aspects of long-term treatment of children and adolescents with HIV. The teaching programme evolves dynamically in response to local priorities and increasing South African experience. All teaching is based on local guidelines and monitored and supported by local colleagues to ensure accuracy and acceptability.
CHIVA Africa's Teaching includes:
- The basics of ART in pregnant women, babies and children
- Anti-Retroviral side-effects and management of them
- HIV in children - When to start treatment
- The importance of adherence to medication and how to encourage it
- Talking to children about their diagnosis (disclosure)
- Nutrition and growth
- Interpretation of laboratory tests
We support National and Provincial initiatives through the development of joint training packages, shared teaching and active networking at local and national levels.