CHIVA Africa extended the core paediatric mentorship programme into the Eastern Cape Province in August 2009 and the North West Province in October 2010; both following requests from senior managers at the respective departments of health. Both had learned of our programme from discussions with colleagues in KwaZulu-Natal and from hearing formal presentations at conferences.
CHIVA Africa is working in conjunction with the regional government health departments in KZN, the ECP and NWP. In the Eastern Cape we are working in partnership with the Regional Training Centre (RTC). The centre is a government initiative set up to lead the provision of comprehensive training of healthcare staff in HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Sexually Transmitted Infections. The Centre is housed at the Walter Sisulu University in Mthatha, and has nodal centres in Port Elizabeth and East London.
We support the implementation of the National and Provincial initiatives paediatric HIV programmes through the development of joint training packages and shared teaching and active networking at local and national levels; all of which are based on South African guidelines. Programmes are delivered in association with the KZN Department of Health and The Eastern Cape Regional Training Centre (RTC).
We also participate in UKZN Nelson Mandela Medical School programmes: UKZN HIV diploma course for doctors and nurses: regular participation of CHIVA Africa Programme Director and other volunteers in teaching sessions in the paediatric modules of the course (adherence, disclosure, adolescence).
All teaching and mentoring is provided in accordance with South African Guidelines. Presentations are developed and peer-reviewed by senior South African colleagues to ensure accuracy and promote ownership of resources.
All our resources are freely available to any healthcare professionals who would like to use them for teaching purposes, to facilitate a sharing of learning to those not directly supported by our teams. Local expertise is also recruited for presentations at workshops and seminars. Feedback, evaluations and input received from the KZN Department of Health, the RTC from the Eastern Cape and the North West Province Department of Health, as well as the individual facilities and hospitals are all used to plan and facilitate future visits.
- Whizzkids United – KZN - Youth life skills development and Health Academy in KZN
- Eastern Cape Regional Training Centre at Walter Sisulu University- HIV and AIDS / STI / TB UNIT (HAST) training and mentorship
- Wits Institute for Sexual & Reproductive Health, HIV and Related Conditions (WrHI) (formerly RHRU) WrHI is one of the largest training and research units in the University of the Witwatersrand, is recognised as a leading institution in the field of HIV/AIDS and reproductive health, and has been designated a World Health Organisation (WHO) Collaborating Centre. We are working in partnership with WrHI colleagues in the NWP
- MatCH Doctors Training Programme : Maternal, Adolescent and Child Health Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology University of the Witwatersrand
- One Voice South Africa: is a local NGO providing life-skills training across KZN and is a partner in our adolescent HIV workshops
- African Pulse: is a national NGO providing technology-based access to HIV information and support and is also a partner in our adolescent HIV workshops
- ECHO: clinical research and training NGO, based in Gauteng, with responsibility for management of all NGOs working in the Kenneth Kaunda district in the North West province
Provincial Government Partners
- KwaZulu-Natal - Department of Health: HIV and AIDS / STI / TB UNIT (HAST)
- Northwest Province- Department of Health and Social Development: HIV and AIDS / STI / TB UNIT
- Eastern Cape Department of Health and Regional Training Centre
CHIVA SA is a member of the Yezigane Network. The Yezingane Network is a civil society network made up of organisations working to address the impact of HIV and AIDS on children, families and communities. http://www.childrensrights.org.za/index.php/yezingane-network